|This is the current version of general meeting principles I recommend in priority order:|
1. Proper Meeting Protocols and Ground Rules established – See Meeting with Purpose document (see below)
2. Ideal meeting outcome established first
3. Compile attendee list, information gathering and dissemination lists prior to the meeting – i.e., invitees, those consulted beforehand and informed after.
4. Agenda shared prior to meeting with proper time for preparation
5. During meeting, force-ranked priorities decided prior to discussion (most often through attendee voting compliant with meeting outcome coherence)
6. Reaching outcome and “everyone heard” protocols more important than arbitrary time allotment
7. End purposely when outcome is reached – One phrase close, or meeting rating/quick discussion or appreciations.
Why is this important?
Every important variable in a meeting from how to navigate socially and professionally, to being distracted due to holding in your brain things that you are missing because of the meeting, to what you might have to do after the meeting, to the mountain of email you have yet to get through, to wondering if you are fully prepared for the meeting, and the like all prevent meeting occupants from being fully present.
The meeting’s leader has the unenviable task of keeping everyone engaged and productive. The aforementioned principle can go a long way to making that a reality. Additionally, limiting other distractions you can control will help all the attendees’ brains to be as focused as possible.
Meeting with the brain in mind by minimizing the number of active variables each attendees has to juggle adds velocity to the meeting, the team and the business. It also minimizes the sapping of energy throughout the day.
Meeting with purpose helps everyone.
|Meetings with Purpose download|
Bill – Certified Growth Coach, Foundations in NeuroLeadership certified, PI Certified Partner, MG100 member coach
For MA companies ONLY, as an approved Training and Development provider, Catalyst Growth Advisors can offer up to 50% off program fees. Click here to see if you qualify.
Please click here to download the free pdf version of my book Further, Faster – The Vital Few Steps that Take the Guesswork out of Growth. There is also a link to Amazon for the audio, e-book or paperback versions.