“The good men may do separately is small compared to what they may do collectively.”Benjamin Franklin
He would know…..
Mr. Franklin started many first-of-its-kind successful organizations through his junto of 12 members. Some are still in existence today.
- The nation’s first Lending Library
- University of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Hospital
Most notably, he was the only Founding Father who was involved in every one of the key documents created to declare and establish the United States of America – that was also a pretty successful team.
The power and hidden nature of teams.
- 83% of people are on teams.
- 67% of those people are on more than one.
- Many of those teams do not show up in the org chart.
Fun fact – A recent study at Cisco revealed 17,000 different teams across the organization.
Most would agree that teams do most of the work. However, leaders are unaware of the existence of most teams and are unaware of many of the team leaders.
What are you doing to identify and teach your team leaders to be effective? This video from Marcus Buckingham shares ‘Why the Best Talent Practitioners are Fixated on Teams’.
Here is one simple thing you can do if you are the leader of a team.
- Meet with each member weekly without fail. (Frequency of attention is far more important than any other factor.)
- Ask them what their priorities are this week.
- Ask them what you can do to help them achieve them.
You will begin to see higher levels of engagement and accelerated progress. Research shows that doing this weekly is key. Monthly is not enough and daily is too much for these 1:1 meetings.
Performance is a team sport.
For MA companies ONLY, as an approved Training and Development provider, Catalyst Growth Advisors can offer you 50% off program fees. Click here to see if you qualify.